Interior Design Director – St. Louis
Oculus is seeking a licensed Senior Interior Designer with 12-15 years of experience to lead our Interior Design group. Our firm portfolio includes government, healthcare, education, retail, hospitality, and corporate/workplace design.
Responsibilities include directing design for interior spaces for the company’s projects, participating in the review of submissions and recommend changes before completion, and deciding on and managing the furniture and interior fittings packages for projects as needed. The Interior Design Director actively participates in budgeting and scheduling design tasks, develops strong business relationships with customers and outside partners, and coordinates with other design professionals to reach project goals in a timely manner. They are also responsible for completing site surveys, field verification and test fit plans, or managing others to do the same.
In addition, they must have an advanced understanding and knowledge of construction techniques as it relates to interior design. It is essential that they understand building structure, technology and detailing when modifying existing interior construction.
The preferred candidate must have strong interpersonal skills to convey design ideas to client and vendors. They should be organized individuals that pay close attention to detail and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage Design Staff & Work Flow
- Provide interiors leadership on project design teams
- Participate in presentations to clients and prospective clients
- Engage in marketing activities to assist in business development by working with existing clients and fostering new clients
- Network within community to establish new clients and revenue streams
- Be a mentor to other interiors staff
- Make recommendations for improving quality of work and how we perform our work
- Participate in all phases of design for multiple projects collaborating with other team members and clients
- Participate in preparation of programs and space planning concepts
- Specify and select furniture systems
- Select and specify color palettes
- Adhere to construction budgets, design budgets and schedule
- Possess knowledge of material costs and remain current on design trends
- Participate in preparation of construction documents and other deliverables/materials as required by Owner/Client/internal team
- Responsible for managing project using Ajera & responsible for financial outcome of projects
- Provides leadership, resources and technical advice for the generation of construction documents for interior environments, including detailing and finish application, ensuring adherence to design intent and carry through
- Reviews documents per building and ADA codes
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with the Project Team
Successful candidates should possess a well-rounded knowledge of the design/production and construction process, including the following skills, attributes, and credentials:
- 12 -15 years of progressively increasing experience in Interior Design
- NCIDQ and/or state licensure, required
- Proficient in Autodesk Revit, required
- Knowledge of other modeling software such as Sketch Up, 3D Studio, preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture from an accredited institution required
- LEED Accreditation preferred
- Ability to foster a creative environment within project team
- Sound working knowledge of building codes, building systems and construction methods
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal
- Knowledge of building regulations and safety codes
Please provide a sample design portfolio with your application or a link to your online portfolio.
Oculus Inc. (www.OculusInc.com) is a growing full service architectural firm serving multiple markets around the country. Our clients are large government entities, Fortune 50 companies, healthcare providers, major retailers, and select local market clients and businesses. We sustain client relationships through creativity, service, and solid performance. Our firm offers a solid package of benefits, an ethical professional work environment and supports our local communities with civic-minded philanthropic activities.